Montego Bay Sangster International Airport (MBJ)
History, Facts and Overview
(Montego Bay, Jamaica)
Although plans for an airport were discussed as far back as 1936, construction of Montego Bay Airport did not actually begin until around ten years later. Completed in 1947 and strategically located close to the coastline and Montego Bay town, the airport was served by Pan Am airlines and generally used by affluent holidaymakers.
By 1950, the airport was owned by the Jamaican Government and bore little resemblance to the Sangster Airport of today. In 1959, a new terminal opened to the south of the runway and was able to deal with around 500 travellers every single hour.
During recent years, a new concourse has been added and the runway extended, accommodating large Boeing aircraft and the new generation of double-decker airbuses. The airport is officially known as the Sir Donald Sangster International Airport (MBJ), being named after one of Jamaica's most famous prime ministers.
The main passenger facilities at this single-terminal airport include cash machines and a bureau de change in the main atrium, while post boxes are also onsite. For sustenance, there are a number of eateries in the main concourse, while around 40 different small shops, kiosks and duty-free outlets provide ample shopping opportunities. The main shops at Montego Bay Sangster Airport include Blue Mountain and Buccaneer Duty Free, Body Vibes, Flight of Fantasy, Jamaica Farewell, Reggae Vibes, Tads International, and Jamaica Bobsled, where an array of branded sports clothing in available for purchase.